Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Dotty Remembers New Year's Eve 2009 -- Is a Miracle About to Happen?

By Bob DeMarco
Alzheimer's Reading Room


Yesterday, July 4, we went to a barbecue. 167 people sang Happy Birthday to Dotty. She was very pleased, smiled and said -- Thank You. I was looking forward to how she would react. You never know with someone suffering from Alzheimer's disease. I was very happy to see her reaction.


I was reminded of the two year period when Dotty didn't smile or laugh once -- not a single time. This was before we discovered there was a problem with her thyroid. You can read about that here -- Thyroid and Alzheimer's.

While we were there, Dotty reaches over and opens a big bag of cheese twists (those narly looking big orange things) and starts munching away. I say, Dotty, those are not yours. She tells me yes they are, I brought them. I say, they belong to Rhoda and you have to ask her if its OK. Dotty says, who the hell is Rhoda? I point to Rhoda who is sitting right across from her. Dotty, big mouth working, announces that is not Rhoda. Josephine tells Dotty, yes it is. Everyone laughs.

To read more follow the link.

Original content Bob DeMarco, the Alzheimer's Reading Room

No comments:

Post a Comment